Contact Us Web Links Documents Quotables History
Our Jerusalem
  HOME     HOT NEWS     NEWS     OPINION     OUR JERUSALEM     SERIES     PRESS     ACTION     ARAB PRESS  
    
 


Welcome to ourjerusalem.com


Five Kassams fired from Gaza despite cease-fire agreement

Yaakov Katz, herb keinon, and jpost staff, THE JERUSALEM POST Nov. 26, 2006
www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1162378483201&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Two more Kassam rockets landed in Israel on Sunday morning, bringing the
total number of rockets aimed at Israel since a cease-fire agreement with
the Palestinian government went into effect earlier in the day to five.

One of the rockets landed in the vicinity of the Sderot cemetery.

Three Kassam rockets were fired from Gaza a short while earlier despite the
agreement with Palestinian factions that became effective at 6 a.m. and was
followed by the IDF’s withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.

One of the rockets landed in open territory in the western Negev, while the
other landed in northern Sderot. No one was wounded and no damage was
reported as a result of any of the rocket attacks.

The Givati infantry Brigade, which had been conducting anti-Kassam
operations, left Gaza early Sunday morning.
The IDF was now holding a defensive posture along the Gaza security fence.

Southern Command sources added that the IDF would not initiate any offensive
action in the Gaza Strip, including a cessation of targeted killings.

One of the big questions about the cease-fire remains what would happen if
terror groups continued arms smuggling by use of underground tunnels.
Sources in Southern Command said Sunday morning that they were still waiting
clarification regarding a planned IDF response to such a scenario.

Defense Minister Amir Peretz convened a meeting of top defense officials
Sunday morning to discuss the possible consequences of Israel’s decision to
accept the cease-fire agreement with the Palestinians on future IDF
operations.

Peretz said, “Any rocket fire at Israel will be considered a breach of the
cease-fire and will be dealt with severely,” and that, “Israel is interested
in calm but not at the cost of harm inflicted on its citizens.”

The defense minister added that if Abbas and the terror were not able to
stop the rocket attacks; Israel would see this as a clear breach of the
cease-fire and would take action to protect its citizens.

“Let’s hope that’s just the problems of the beginning,” government
spokeswoman Miri Eisin said. “But if Israel is attacked, we will respond. If
there are Palestinian factions that are not part of the cease-fire, it’s
hard to see how the cease-fire will hold.”

Palestinian Authority spokesman Ghazi Hamed also criticized the attacks,
telling BBC Arabic that the rocket fire was a “blatant violation” of the
ceasefire.

Hamed added that all Palestinian factions had taken part in the agreement on
Saturday.

The Palestinian offer was accepted by Israel on Saturday night, and was set
to halt operations in Gaza in return for an end to all Palestinian violence,
including rocket fire, tunneling and suicide bombers, the Prime Minister’s
Office announced.

Comments are closed.

VISIT US NOW ON FACEBOOK

Sponsored by Cherna Moskowitz