by Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu Arutz Sheva December 26, 2006
Arab terrorists launched rockets at Sderot Tuesday night, seriously injuring two Jewish children playing outside. The government continues with its policy of restraint and goodwill measures.
One of children, 14-year-old Adir Basad, is in critical condition, and the second boy, Matan Cohen, suffered serious wounds. They are being treated at Barzali Hospital in Ashkelon. A house and nearby cars sustained heavy damage.
Islamic Jihad terrorists said they were behind the attack, bringing to more than 60 the number of rockets fired on Israel since the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert announced a ceasefire almost four weeks ago.
Seven rockets were fired on Israel during the day, including a longer-range rocket that hit a strategic facility in Ashkelon for the second straight day. Dangerous materials are stored at the strategic site.
Tuesday night’s attack has put more pressure on Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to change his policy of restraint and concessions. He recently announced “goodwill” measures including the easing of travel restrictions for Arabs in Judea and Samaria.
Defense Minister Amir Peretz said last week that the government is “gambling with the lives” of residents of Sderot, where he lives.
Infrastructure Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer (Labor), during a visit to the site of a proposed new community for expelled residents of former Gush Katif communities, said that the time has come to react “with might” against terrorists who fire rockets.
IDF officers have stated they have spotted rocket launching cells but are under orders not to prevent them from launching attacks.